Want to be the first to hear about book releases?
Subscribe Now and get a free copy of Childish Things: Stories of Growing Up
- A Very Short Story (Tape Recorder)
- A Very Short Story (Slam)
- A Very Short Story (Phones)
- A Very Short Story (Chanting)
- A Very Short Story (Undress)
- Every Chicken, Cow, Fish, and Frog: Animal rights haiku anthology
- A Very Short Story (Knees)
- A Very Short Story (Underestimate)
- A Very Short Story (WILL)
- A Very Short Story (Friends)
Tag Archives: short story
They each got a tape recorder for Christmas. Joe lost his before New Year’s and Jane used hers to tell the truth about their mother.
Mara met Ezekiel at a poetry slam. She didn’t understand a single thing he said, but she knew she wanted his crazy arms around her.
We pushed all the chairs together at one end of the floor and stacked the phones on a desk. We hoped someone would want them.
“I’m sorry, I really can’t listen to what you’re saying right now. All I know is, what we did was bad karma and I’ve got a lot of chanting to do.”
She was shy to undress in front of the full moon.
She read a book. He studied her bare knees.
“And the next thing you know, you’re just looking into their eyes. Cows are very easy to underestimate, Mr. Wilcox.”
WINNING A LOCKER SLAMMING CONTEST IS A MATTER OF WILL.
Michael saw his old college friends often. Amber, for one, worked in a nearby building and bought a latte from him every morning.
Emily looked out the window and imagined the moors were brimming with men in shirts and boots searching for a girl like her.